Monday, January 7, 2013

RAOK Week 3

Dec. 17--We made a sign that said, "BEST DAD HANDS DOWN," put all the boys' handprints on it, and went to Andy's office.  As we walked in, we started singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and we taped the sign to his door.  He was surprised to see us!

Dec. 18--We went to the symphony!  Every year, the Utah Symphony comes to Weber State University and does a special Christmas concert for kids.  Santa is in the lobby before the show, so we prepared a card and a "Symphony" candy bar for him.  Just as we got there, the lady told us it was time for Santa to go backstage and get ready for the performance.  We looked sad and asked if she would deliver our gift.  Her heart melted on the spot, and she let us be the last ones in line!  Santa told Spencer that since he brought him a card, he would get double gifts this year!

The concert was amazing!  Carson listened with rapt attention.  Occasionally he would reach up and touch my shoulder to tell me something, and his eyes sparkled with delight.  As we walked out to the car, he kept looking back to try to see Santa's sleigh on the roof of the building.

Dec. 19--Spencer was at Grandma's house for a sleepover, but Carson and I wrapped some presents for a friend in our neighborhood.  Hopefully that will relieve a little of her stress.

Dec. 20--We all went caroling to our bishop and his family.  We sang "Rudolph," with Spencer doing the echoes.  Even Carson belted it out!  Then we sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" as we went back to the car.  It made them smile!

Dec. 21--My birthday!  I wanted to give something to the babies born on my special day, so I found two little boy outfits and two little girl outfits, attached cards to them, and we delivered them to the nursery at the hospital where I used to work.  I told the nurse to give them to four special babies who were born that day.

Dec. 22--On our way home from my family Christmas party, we stopped at the grocery store parking lot and left candy bars with notes on three random cars.  Spencer signed the notes from "A Christmas Elf."

 Dec. 23--The boys wrote cards and delivered them with big candy bars to their church teachers.  Only two of the four were home, but one of them was obviously tickled by the gesture.  He bent down and chatted with both boys and had a big grin.  I've often wondered if he feels unappreciated, and he seemed very pleased. 

Dec. 24--A hectic day, so we just made a special effort to give hugs to Grandma and Grandpa after our Christmas Eve dinner.  That's not a big deal for Spencer, but Carson is usually reluctant to show affection.  However, he didn't hesitate this time.  I guess he was feeling the Christmas spirit! 

We voted at our next family night, and we intend to make this an annual tradition.  I'm not sure how easy it will be when the kids are in school during December, but we'll do our best.  I think we all had a good time.  It's fun to see people's faces light up when they realize someone cares. 

No comments: