Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mormon Battalion Museum

Okay, here's a continuation of the trip.... We visited the Mormon Battalion Museum in San Diego. (If you don't know what the Mormon Battalion is, look it up on Wikipedia.) Pretty cool place, recently renovated by the church. There are missionaries assigned there to be tour guides and teach people about the Mormon Battalion and their purpose. I was particularly interested because I have an ancestor who was a member of the battalion. We looked him up in their database, and sure enough, there he was! I nearly busted my buttons.

Abraham Hunsaker--what a charmer! I've always loved his little top curl. Carson used to have one just like it when he was about 6 months old!

And here's a modern-day version. See any resemblance? I kinda hope not!

They outfitted Spencer with some of the equipment the men had to carry (in the heat with wool uniforms--ick!). Those were heavy guns!

After the tour, we panned for "gold."

Parker didn't find anything of value, but he enjoyed being part of the action.

That night we went to a Mexican restaurant in Old Town, a fun little tourist trap. Luckily we were eating outside, because Parker was noisy! He enjoyed using his voice and banging on the table with his little measuring spoon. He looks so cute with the flowers in the background.

The next day we went to see the ocean and look at the tide pools. (When the tide goes out, some of the water stays in the crevices of the rocks and little creatures live there.) We saw little crabs and other living things we couldn't name. If the kids were older, we could have done a lot more exploring. In a few years we'll have to do it again!

We passed by this veteran's cemetery. I was awestruck by the rows and rows of headstones, stretching beyond view. It renewed my gratitude for the many, many people who preserve our freedom and ensure that my children will grow up with the same privileges I had.

1 comment:

cred2216 said...

Looks like a fun trip. Glad you did it
GGPR