
I've decided to hijack Kristy's blog. For her birthday, I sent her to New York City to visit her friend Dori. Dori and Kristy went to college together and they both came on the trip to Guatemala with me. So I guess I've know Dori for as long as I've known Kristy. Anyway, I thought I'd write my thoughts regarding being Mr Mom for four days.
1. Being responsible for one child is much easier than two. I don't know how it will be with three (not an announcement). We will definitely need a van before we travel anywhere further than down the block.
2. I find it very difficult to balance the routine with the emotional relationship component to parenting. I have watched Kristy do an incredible job transitioning from the a-type, routine-oriented woman, to a I'd-rather-read-this-story-again-or-play-trucks-a-little-longer mother. I am learning that while she has made this wonderful change, I have failed to do the same. It is certainly something that I need to focus on.
3. I have learned why a trip to the store, library, or anywhere is a terrific break. However, it must fit in between breakfast and lunch (or nap time) and you must travel equipped to handle any situation. Sippy cups, diapers, pajamas, wet ones, and a favorite comfort item are all necessary ammuntion in the battle. The beauty of the road trip is the distraction from the day-to-day. Even better--it give me a chance to just have fun with the boys without the stress of wiping down the counters one more time before I finally sit down and play with Thing One and Thing Two.
4. I am learning that even though the boys are very different, they show an incredible level of smarts. Spencer, the mouthpiece of the family, can participate in and comprehend a very adult conversation. I have never met a child so empathetic to another's plight. I am impressed with his accute understanding of other people's feelings. Carson, the mute, can keep track of any item in the house. Just yesterday he brought my keys into the bathroom while I was brushing my teeth. I put the keys on the counter and continued getting ready to head out. About an hour later we were putting on shoes and coats and getting into the car. I happen to ask rhetorically, "Carson, where are Daddy's keys?" Immediately he turned and started running from one end of the house to the other. He ran into the master bedroom and into the bathroom, grabbed my keys, and came running back. I can ask Carson to put away most anything and he confidently puts it right were it belongs. I'm worried that by the time he's two, he'll be smarter that his father.
5. I am delighted that Kristy was able to have the time of her life in NYC. While I missed her, I love the fact she created memories that will last a lifetime. Hurry and get home my angel of music, your phantom misses you.
1 comment:
Wow! I think this should be required reading for all dads or dads to be. If only they could all appreciate moms like that!
Post a Comment